Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
A different, healthy pasta dish with lots of veggies. Adapted from Canadian Living.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup 2% evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 500 g cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over high heat and cook onion and mushrooms for 5 min., stirring often.
- Lower heat to medium-high and stir in flour. Add zucchini, sweet peppers, corn and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minute.
- Add evaporated milk, pepper and salt. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain tortellini and add to vegetable mixture. Mix with half of the Parmesan and the basil.
- Serve sprinkled with remaining Parmesan.
Alas, this one did not work all that well for us. We felt like the vegetables were just too tangy to go with a cream-based sauce (they would have been great with a vinaigrette, however!). I did like the idea of using the evaporated milk, however, all will be using it again for sure! Thanks for posting.
We really enjoyed this. It is super easy to make and quite tasty with all those veggies in it. The corn gives it a slightly sweet flavor. I also love using the evaporated milk instead of cream- great trick. Yummy. Thanks for posting this recipe. It is perfect for a weeknight meal!