This has to be one of my favorite winter soups, very filling and full of flavor. Serve with warm crusty bread on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 -6 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry green lentils
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons croutons (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Melt butter in a big heavy saucepan and fry onion for a few minutes, then add carrots and green pepper and fry until softened.
- 2Add 2 cups water, the potatoes and the lentils, season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 30 minutes, until potatoes and lentils are cooked.
- 3Mix the flour with a little of the milk and gradually blend in the rest of the milk.
- 4Stir well into the soup until it thickens.
- 5Simmer for 5 minutes then stir in 3/4 of the cheese.
- 6Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 7Garnish with croutons if using.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harvest Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 920.8
- Calories from Fat 362
- Total Fat 40.3 g
- Saturated Fat 24.9 g
- Cholesterol 123.9 mg
- Sodium 659.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.3 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 41.4 g