Recipe by Nic
This has to be one of my favorite winter soups, very filling and full of flavor. Serve with warm crusty bread on the side.
Top Review by pnblandrey
This was a very easy soup to make; I didn't have the green pepper but I did add some celery. It had a good creamy base and the veggies were very tender. It did seem a little bland, though. Maybe I didn't add in enough salt. I think next time I will add in a chicken boullion cube or two for a little added flavor. Great with freshly baked bread!
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 -6 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry green lentils
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons croutons (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a big heavy saucepan and fry onion for a few minutes, then add carrots and green pepper and fry until softened.
- Add 2 cups water, the potatoes and the lentils, season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 30 minutes, until potatoes and lentils are cooked.
- Mix the flour with a little of the milk and gradually blend in the rest of the milk.
- Stir well into the soup until it thickens.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then stir in 3/4 of the cheese.
- Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Garnish with croutons if using.