Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
An alternative to pineapple upside down cake. From Woman's World magazine.
Make and share this Harvest Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar, divided, plus
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 12 maraschino cherries, quartered
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine water with raisins; let stand 10 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Butter 8 inch square baking pan.
- Combine next 5 ingredients. Set aside.
- At medium-high speed beat 2/3 cup sugar with shortening until creamy about 2 minutes.
- Beat in egg until combined; beat in milk, molasses and vanilla.
- Beat in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until just combined.
- Drizzle butter over bottom of pan; sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
- Drizzle with corn syrup, sprinkle with cherries, walnuts and reserved raisins.
- Arrange apples over mixture, overlapping slices.
- Pour batter over apples.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender, and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes then run knife around edges of cake.
- Invert serving plate over top of pan; invert and remove pan.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.