1 hr 10 mins
An alternative to pineapple upside down cake. From Woman's World magazine.
My Private Note
8inch c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided, plus
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 12 maraschino cherries, quartered
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Combine water with raisins; let stand 10 minutes.
- 3Drain and set aside.
- 4Butter 8 inch square baking pan.
- 5Combine next 5 ingredients. Set aside.
- 6At medium-high speed beat 2/3 cup sugar with shortening until creamy about 2 minutes.
- 7Beat in egg until combined; beat in milk, molasses and vanilla.
- 8Beat in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until just combined.
- 9Drizzle butter over bottom of pan; sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
- 10Drizzle with corn syrup, sprinkle with cherries, walnuts and reserved raisins.
- 11Arrange apples over mixture, overlapping slices.
- 12Pour batter over apples.
- 13Bake 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender, and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- 14Cool for 10 minutes then run knife around edges of cake.
- 15Invert serving plate over top of pan; invert and remove pan.
- 16Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harvest Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3348.9
- Calories from Fat 1075
- Total Fat 119.5 g
- Saturated Fat 50.1 g
- Cholesterol 350.5 mg
- Sodium 1893.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 555.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.6 g
- Sugars 330.4 g
- Protein 32.0 g