- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped, or
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, 1 to 1 1/2
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked, (see note)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb roasted smoked skinless turkey, cut in 1/2" dice
- 1 cup dried cranberries, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes & then drained & dried
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup green seedless grape, halved
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1⁄2-2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated (from 2-3 oranges)
- to taste salt
- to taste black pepper, Freshly ground
- to taste lettuce greens (spinach, red leaf or Boston)
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon or 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon flat leaf parsley
- 1 orange, thinly sliced in alf rounds
- TO PREPARE DRESSING Place orange juice, vinegar and tarragon in small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, watching carefully, until mixture is reduced to half, about 6 tablespoons.
- Pour into bowl. Whisk in garlic, salt, pepper and oil until blended. Set aside.
- TO PREPARE SALAD Melt butter in heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add rice; stir until all grains are coated well.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let cool. Toss rice with dressing.
- Add turkey, cranberries, pecans, green onions, grapes, 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon and orange zest. Taste and season salad with salt, pepper and additional tarragon, if desired.
- (Salad can be prepared 1 to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature 30 minutes before serving.)
- TO SERVE Arrange border of lettuce leaves on serving plate if you wish. Mound salad on top. Garnish with chopped tarragon and border of orange slices, if desired.
- Note: Texmati rice, a long-grain American basmati rice, works well in this recipe. Cook it as you would the brown rice, 20 to 25 minutes, and then remove from heat and keep covered 10 minutes.
Just made this salad and I couldn't more pleased with the results. The only thing I subbed was the tarragon with a basil-parsley blend. I used diced smoked turkey from my deli since its not roast turkey season. I love all the textures, fruits, nuts and the rice with a tangy dressing. This is right up my alley. Just delicious!