Recipe by Derf
Vibrant taste and colour from freshly harvested, vine ripened tomatoes. Serve with tossed green salad for a light lunch or supper or cut into small squares and serve for appetizer. from Canadian Living mag.
- 9 freshly harvested vine ripened tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) package goat cheese, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- cut tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices; spread on parchment paper lined, rimmed baking sheet.
- Brush with 2 tablespoon of the oil; sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 400f degrees oven until slightly shrivelled, about 45 minutes; let cool (Make ahead: Cover and refrigerate on tray for up to 24 hours).
- On lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry 1 inch larger that 14 x 4 inch rectangular or 9 inch round tart pan.
- Press into pan and trim edges; prick bottom with fork.
- Brush bottom with mustard; spread with cheese.
- Cover with tomatoes; tuck garlic among slices.
- Sprinkle with basil, pepper, then remaining oil.
- Bake in bottom third of 400f degree oven until pastry is golden, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with basil or parsley.
- Note: If all you really want is the tomatoes, the tart is wonderful without the cheese.