Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is our family stuffing recipe. I got it off the food tv wedsite.
- 2 lbs well-spiced bulk turkey sausage
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chopped red onions
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sage, crumbled
- 12 cups bread, cubed 1 inch,toasted (do not use crust)
- 2 granny smith apples, diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 1 cup pitten prune, quartered
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown the sausage in a pan, breaking up clumps; remove to a large bowl.
- Add the oil to the pan; stir in the onions, celery, garlic, thyme, and sage and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add to the sausage along with the bread, apples and dried fruits.
- Toss well.
- Drizzle the broth over the mixture to moisten as desired and season with salt and pepper.
- Cool before stuffing the turkey.
- Makes 12 cups of stuffing, enough for an 18-pound turkey.