Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my modification of a recipe from Taste of Home Magazine. I make it using a combination of carrots and beets, but it would also work with pumpkin or other winter squashes, I'm sure.
For the muffins
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 raw beet, peeled and sliced into discs
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup oil
For the filling
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Note: The total amount of chopped carrots and beets should be about 3 cups. I like a little more carrot than beet in the mixture.
- Put the carrots and beets in water in a microwave safe dish and microwave, covered, for 10 minutes or until they are tender.
- Add the oil and eggs to a blender and put the carrots and beets in on top. Puree.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until just moistened.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, and sugar until smooth.
- Fill 24 greased muffin cups one-third full of muffin batter.
- Drop a spoonful of filling on top of each muffin.
- Cover the filling with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Refrigerate leftovers.