Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Harvest Soup Mix is a mixture of split peas, lentils, rice and other grains. This recipe on front of the bag. I bought this at Stringtown Grocery 2266 540th Street S.W. Kalona, IA 52247 Kalona is a Amish and Mennonite community. http://www.kalonaiowa.org/Etiquette.htm
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups harvest soup mix
- 1 cup carrots, sliced or 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, and leaf finely chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken broth or 1 teaspoon bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken or 1⁄2 lb turkey or 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- Place water and Harvest Soup Mix in a heavy pot and simmer 1 hour.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer another hour.
- Options: Make with smoked sausage and add 1 cup of each fresh diced apples and sweet potatoes, instead of tomatoes.
- Other spices that can be added: savory, garlic and tarragon.
I love this soup mix! I usually make it wirg chicken. The recipe is very forgiving and can withstand modifications. I like to add extra broth or stock and I cook it until it has the consistency if pea soup.