Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Wonderful salad full of goodness! From Southern Living, with a slight change by me.
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle salad dressing, poppy-seed type
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cranberries (may use frozen)
- 8 ounces mixed salad greens
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup pecan halves, lightly salted and roasted
- 6 bacon, slices cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel and seed the butternut squash; cut into 3/4 inch cubes.
- Toss together the squash, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. place in a single layer in a lightly greased aluminum foil lined jelly-roll pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the squash is tender and begins to brown, stirring once after 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Pulse the poppy-seed dressing and cranberries in a blender 3 to 4 times or until the cranberries are coarsely chopped.
- Toss together the squash, salad greens, feta cheese, pecans, and bacon on a large serving platter. Serve with the dressing mixture.
This is a beautiful salad and equally delicious. This salad would be an excellent company dish and I can't wait to make it again. The only change I made was to use a balsamic vinaigrette vs. poppy seed dressing. Made for For Your Consideration tag game, October, 2014.
I would classify this as a special salad. It's kind of alot of work to prepare just for myself. I could see this as part of bridal or baby shower luncheon. To save time, I bought the butternut squash already cut into cubes. I also used craisins instead of cranberries. For the store bought poppyseed dressing, I used Kraft brand.