Cook3 hrs 20 mins
Moist and delicious--with or without the frosting! It brings out all the flavours of an old-fashioned pumpkin pie; but so moist it melts in your mouth. These bars were a big hit at Thanksgiving parties.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix!)
- 2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chocolate chips, if desired
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease bottom and sides of 15x10x1 inch pan (glass is best) with shortening.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, granulated sugar, oil and pumpkin until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and cloves.
- Stir in chocolate chips, spread in pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool completely in pan on cooling rack, about 2 hours.
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, on low speed until smooth and spreadable.
- Spread frosting over bars.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- For bars, cut into 7 rows by 7 rows.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Tastes better the day after!