Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
Moist and delicious--with or without the frosting! It brings out all the flavours of an old-fashioned pumpkin pie; but so moist it melts in your mouth. These bars were a big hit at Thanksgiving parties.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix!)
- 2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chocolate chips, if desired
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease bottom and sides of 15x10x1 inch pan (glass is best) with shortening.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, granulated sugar, oil and pumpkin until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and cloves.
- Stir in chocolate chips, spread in pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool completely in pan on cooling rack, about 2 hours.
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, on low speed until smooth and spreadable.
- Spread frosting over bars.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- For bars, cut into 7 rows by 7 rows.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Tastes better the day after!
Friends were going to drop over last night and I wanted to make something quick. I had a pumpkin to use (I don't think canned pumpkin is available in New Zealand) and wanted a pumpkin chocolate chip bar so I chose this Harvest Pumpkin-Spice Bar recipe. <br/>I cooked 8 oz of small chunks of pumpkin in the microwave for six minutes, let it cool while I mixed everything else up then mashed it and added it to the egg and sugar mixture.<br/>I made half the recipe because I wanted to bake the bars in my bench top oven.<br/>The recipe might have been a little too wet due to the cooked pumpkin (and not knowing how much I'd end up with, I started out with more pumpkin) but it was delicious. I was hoping for more of a cookie bar and this turned out to be a cake but everyone liked it, even one of our friends who is finicky.
LOVE these! I've made them w/ choc chips but they are just as good w/out them! They key is the cinnamon, ginger and clove.... and the cream cheese frosting.... so perfect!
this was a excellent cake!!! very moist and easy to make. The flavors are really nice and of course the cream cheese frosting is very delicious too!!! thanks for posting!!!