Recipe by nanner18411
This was dreamt up while my sister and I were looking for a use for one large can of pumpkin pie filling. Don't be put off by the thoughts of pumpkin pie filling, it makes the recipe soooo easy, no spices to add. It is pretty rich, so enjoy in small servings. Hint-top your bowl of soup with a dollup of sour cream and a sprinkling of French Fried Onions.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons frangelico liquor
- 30 ounces pumpkin pie filling
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (2 7/8 ounce) can Durkee onions, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, heat olive oil, add onion and garlic and cook until carmelized.
- Add Frangelico Liquor and stir until reduced to slightly thick.
- Add Chicken broth and pumpkin pie filling and stir.
- Add diced apple and stir to combine.
- Season with pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Add half and half and stir until thickened, reduce heat to low.
- Stir in crushed french fried onions.
- Cook on low for approximately 30 minutes.
- If you prefer your soup smoother, puree in batches in food processor until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls, top with dollup of sour cream and sprinkle with french fried onions if desired.