Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This recipe came from my mom--it is delicious. This recipe reminds me of the holiday times; however, it is delicious anytime.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup solid pack pumpkin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
- Lightly grease a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan or coat with vegetable spray.
- Beat sugar, margarine and applesauce until creamy and light (about 5 minutes).
- Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat.
- Add pumpkin and mix until smooth.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Stir into pumpkin mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add raisins, orange rind, orange juice and nuts.
- Stir well and pour into loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes.
- Test for doneness by inserting wooden pick into loaf; if it comes out clean the bread is done.
- YIELD: 12 slices.