Recipe by looneytunesfan
Another fine recipe for when the weather turns cool and crisp.
Top Review by PaulaG
This was cooked in the slow cooker. I was hesitant about adding the potatoes initially because I was afraid they would overcook. The potatoes were removed after about 2 hours and they they were a little overdone. If I were to make this again I would add the potatoes the last 45 minutes or so of cooking. The flavors were good. I did thicken the broth with some cornstarch and served it over all.
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast or 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs rump roast or 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs round roast
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled, if desired, and cut in large chunks
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325*. In Dutch oven or 5 quart heavy ovenproof saucepot, combine soup mix, water, soy sauce, brown sugar and ginger; add roast.
- Bake covered 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and bake covered an additional 45 minutes or until beef and potatoes are tender.
- Remove roast and potatoes to serving platter and keep warm; reserve juices.
- In small cup, with wire whisk, blend water and flour. In Dutch oven, add flour mixture to reserved juices. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Serve with roast and potatoes.
- SLOW COOKER METHOD: In slow cooker, add potatoes, then roast. Combine soup mix, water, soy sauce, sugar and ginger; pour over roast. Cook covered on LOW 8 to 10 hours or HIGH 4 to 6 hours or until roast is tender. Remove roast and potatoes to serving platter. Blend remaining water with flour and stir into juices in slow cooker. Cook covered on HIGH 15 minutes or until thickened.