Top Review by Darlene Summers
Pixiedust, This was my first time ever to make or even taste a pear pie.It was so good!! I loved the crispy topping !!! I had a fruit basket given to me at Christmas and it had pears in it,They were hard as a rock,so we were waiting for them to get ripe.I don't care for the grainy taste of fresh pears,but I like them cooked pretty good,so I decided to try this pie. Thanks for a great recipe,Darlene Summers
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, pear slices and lemon juice; mix well.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Topping: mix together flour and brown sugar.
- With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over pie filling.
- Bake 40 minutes longer.
- Cover edges of pie crust with foil during last 15 minutes to prevent getting too brown.