Recipe by PrincessNoKnot
This is a copycat of Great Harvest's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. They don't taste exactly the same, but I imagine that's because I don't have a flour mill to grind fresh flour! They do taste very similar though, and whether they're the real deal or not they are my very favorite chocolate chip cookies, with a rich caramel flavor to the dough. YUM!
Top Review by JoyBugaloo
I wanted to clone Great Harvest Bakery's Salted Caramel Cookies, and this was a great base. I upped the salt to 1/2 teaspoon, omitted the chocolate chips, and substituted one package of caramel bits. The cookies turned out GREAT, and very close to the real deal, though perhaps a bit too sweet. I might pull back on the brown sugar a bit next time to balance the sweetness from all the caramel. Also, Great harvest finishes their cookies with a sprinkle of very coarse salt on top, if that floats your boat.
- 473.18 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 473.18 ml brown sugar, packed
- 236.59 ml butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 29.58 ml molasses
- 14.79 ml milk
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml rolled oats, divided
- 473.18 ml chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Cream together the brown sugar and butter until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Mix in the molasses, milk and vanilla.
- Take one cup of the rolled oats and grind them in a blender or food processor until it is the consistency of coarse flour.
- Add the ground oats and the remaining cup of rolled oats to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Now add the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Using a 1/4 cup scoop (my standard size ice cream scoop works well for this) or a measuring cup, scoop the dough onto ungreased cookie sheets 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and cool two minutes on cookie sheets.
- Remove from cookie sheets to cool completely on racks.