1/1 Photo of Harvest Moon Yeast Risen Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
3 hrs 40 mins
A nice hearty and health loaf of bread. Unlike most pumpkin breads this one is yeast risen rather than a quick bread. Yeast breads require a bit of expierence in judgement as to proper amount of flour to add at the end, so yeast recipes are not easy for first time bakers. But expierience has to start some where and this one is not that difficult.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/4-3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup walnuts or 3/4 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- milk (for brushing on top)
- 1In a large mixing bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves; set aside.
- 2In a 1-quart saucepan heat and stir milk, brown sugar, margarine or butter, and salt just until warm (120ºF to 130ºF) and margarine is almost melted.
- 3Add to the flour mixture; add pumpkin.
- 4Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly.
- 5Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- 6Using a wooden spoon, stir in nuts, chocolate chips and as much of the remaining flour as you can while still keeping a pliable dough.
- 7Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
- 8Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- 9Shape into a ball.
- 10Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface.
- 11Cover and let rise in warm place until double (30 to 45 minutes).
- 12Punch dough down.
- 13Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 14Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 15Lightly grease an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan.
- 16Shape dough into a loaf; place in the prepared pan.
- 17Cover and let rise until double (25 to 30 minutes).
- 18Brush top with milk.
- 19Bake in a 375ºF oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- 20If necessary, cover with foil the last 10 to 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- 21Remove from pan.
- 22Cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harvest Moon Yeast Risen Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.0
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.2 mg
- Sodium 232.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 16.2 g
- Protein 9.2 g