Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These carrot-apple pancakes are feather-light even though they are made with wholegrain flour. The secret is to use whole-wheat pastry flour (not bread flour). Look for it in the natural section of your grocery.
- 1 3⁄4 cups low-fat milk (add 2 Tbsp lemon juice) or 2 cups buttermilk (skip to eggs and melted butter step)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (not bread flour)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small apple, chopped very small (with skin)
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Combine low-fat milk and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.
- While milk is souring, combine dry ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Add eggs and melted butter to sour/butter milk mixture and whisk together until blended.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients along with carrots, apple, and walnuts. Stir until just blended. If mixture is too thick, add a bit more milk.
- Pour 1/2 cup of batter onto hot, oiled skillet or griddle and cook until edges are set. Flip once and cook until done.