Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I clipped this recipe out of the paper. It's a little different from the usual pumpkin bread; a nice combination of autumn spices and chocolate chips.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar, mixing well. Blend in eggs.
- To the butter and sugar mixture add flour mixture and pumpkin alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
- Spoon into greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 60 minutes. Test periodically with a toothpick or cake tester until it comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire rack.
I have been making this recipe for a while now. I actually make these into muffins. When making muffins, cut the cook time in half. They taste great and make a great gift in baskets at Christmas time.
My mom made this for us growing up and it is DELICIOUS! I think she got it from Southern Living years ago. We call it Harvest Loaf Cake and we make it for every holiday! It's great warm with a glass of milk and it's even better at room temp the next day. Very easy to double this recipe and freeze the 2nd loaf (this way you're able to use the full can of pumpkin). Mom puts nuts in her loaf, us kids always made the 2nd without. I don't think it needs the glaze at all!! It's sweet enough without!
I got this recipe from my mom, and we just love it! The only difference that I do from this version is to put all of the walnuts in the bread. It usually takes us 65-75 minutes to bake it, and we drizzle a glaze over it when it comes out: 1/2 c powdered sugar, 1/8 t nutmeg, 1/8 t cinnamon, and 1-2 T milk. It's delicious and makes a good dessert too.