Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is a wonderful dinner, so tasty. If your running short of time, don't make the gravy, just use the cooking juice over each serving.
- 1⁄8-2 lb boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Trim fat from pot roast. Cut roast to fit into a 3 1/2 or 4 quart crock pot. heat oil in a large skillet. Cool roast in hot oil until brown on all sides. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, place onion, then the sweet potatoes in crock pot. Place roast on top of vegetables.
- Combine the 3/4 cup water, the bouillon granules, celery seed, cinnamon, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (high 4-5 hours).
- Remove meat and vegetables from crock pot and place on a platter; reserve juices. Skim fat from cooking juices. Pour juices into a glass measuring cup. If necessary, add water to equal 2 cups liquid.
- For gravy, stir the 2 tablespoons cold water into the cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in the cooking juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Serve gravy with roast and vegetables.