Chef mariajane's Note:
This is a wonderful dinner, so tasty. If your running short of time, don't make the gravy, just use the cooking juice over each serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/8-2 lb boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1Trim fat from pot roast. Cut roast to fit into a 3 1/2 or 4 quart crock pot. heat oil in a large skillet. Cool roast in hot oil until brown on all sides. Drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, place onion, then the sweet potatoes in crock pot. Place roast on top of vegetables.
- 3Combine the 3/4 cup water, the bouillon granules, celery seed, cinnamon, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (high 4-5 hours).
- 4Remove meat and vegetables from crock pot and place on a platter; reserve juices. Skim fat from cooking juices. Pour juices into a glass measuring cup. If necessary, add water to equal 2 cups liquid.
- 5For gravy, stir the 2 tablespoons cold water into the cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in the cooking juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- 6Serve gravy with roast and vegetables.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harvest Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 130.5
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 6.5 mg
- Sodium 55.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 3.3 g