6 hrs 15 mins
Not your ordinary slow-cooker roast recipe, this is my autumn variation of the traditional Lipton's onion soup roast I grew up with. The garam masala blends with the cinnamon and apple flavors of the spicy cider, and the tart apples and vinegar add zing to vegetables and meat alike. The colors are beautiful, and it does fine with a cheap cut of meat; just remember to plan extra cooking time for tough meat. A great Halloween meal while doing last-minute costume preparation all day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 beef roast, of any size and quality
- 1 -2 onion, sliced thickly
- 1 large sweet potatoes or 1 large yam, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1/2 lb whole baby yellow squash, rinsed, with stems cut off
- 3 small granny smith apples (about 1 lb.) or 3 small other tart baking apples, cored and cut in large chunks (about 1 lb.)
- 1 1/2 cups spicy apple cider
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- garam masala (an Indian spice blend)
- kosher salt
- roux, for gravy (optional)
- 1Place onions in bottom of slow cooker.
- 2Trim any visible fat from roast.
- 3Rub all over, on both sides, with garam masala and salt to taste.
- 4Place roast in slow cooker with yam or sweet potato, squash, and apples piled around it.
- 5Mix together spicy cider, vinegar, and sugar.
- 6(If store-bought spicy cider is not available, substitute 1 1/2 cups plain apple cider, 2 tablespoons orange juice, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch of ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon orange or lemon zest, and a dash of lemon juice.) Pour liquid mixture over meat and vegetables, making sure all parts of the roast are covered by about the same amount of liquid, and no vegetables are dry.
- 7Cover and cook on"high" for 5 to 8 hours, or"low" 10 to 12 hours, until roast falls apart easily when tested with a serving spoon.
- 8If desired, add liquids to roux in a saucepan and whisk to make a gravy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harvest Crock Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 29.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 1.4 g