Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delightful medley of wholesome ingredients come together in this comforting autumn favorite. Serve with toasted bread for a very satisfying main dish.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, roughly chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 3 -4 cups mashed potatoes (See Note *)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- Fry bacon in heavy stock-pot; remove, drain, crumble, then set bacon aside.
- Saute onion, celery, and carrots in stockpot in a small amount of reserved bacon fat; add mushrooms and zucchini and continue sauteeing for 2 minutes.
- Add water; cover stock pot and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Add corn, peas, mashed potatoes, and milk and heat through.
- Add cheese and stir until melted; season, and serve hot.
- *Note:For this recipe I like to use mashed potato flakes prepared according to package directions using 2 2/3 c water, 1/4 c margarine, 1 tsp salt, 1 c milk, and 2 2/3 c potato flakes to make 3 1/3 cups/8 servings.
This was great and easy to put together. It's also an easy recipe to tweak. I used turkey bacon and a bag of frozen veggies, but otherwise kept to the recipe as written. Thanks for posting!