Apples and tangy orange dressing makes this chicken salad the main attraction. Cook’s tip: A 2-pound rotisserie-cooked chicken can be used to prepare this recipe, if desired. You may also want to top this with “Whole Grain Croutons”.
- 2 oranges
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (6 ounce) packagefresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups diced roasted chicken meat
- 1 cup celery rib, diced
- 2 medium Red Delicious apples
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves, toasted (optional)
- orange section (optional)
- For dressing, zest one orange to measure 2 teaspoons zest.
- Juice oranges to measure 1/2 cup juice.
- Combine orange zest, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, salt, black pepper and pressed garlic; whisk until smooth.
- While continuously whisking, add orange juice in a thin, steady stream; set dressing aside.
- For salad, place spinach in bottom of large serving bowl.
- Dice chicken and celery.
- Cut apples in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds.
- Cut each apple half into small pieces.
- Chop onion.
- Layer chicken, celery, apples, onion, cranberries and pecans, if desired, over spinach.
- To serve, drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- Top with orange segments (if you want to add this, you will need at least 1 extra orange) and Whole-Grain Croutons, if desired.
- Serve immediately.