Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
Another cute recipe using the squash as a bowl. This is a main dish, but if you want to use as a side dish just omit the meat (or leave it in if you like).
- 1 lb maple sausage or 1 lb regular pork sausage
- 2 (2 lb) acorn squash
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed chicken broth, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 11×7-inch casserole; set aside.
- Crumble sausage into skillet; cook and stir over medium-high heat until brown. Remove from heat and drain off drippings.
- Meanwhile, pierce both squash in several places using sharp knife. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes, turning over halfway through cooking time. When cool enough to handle, cut 1/2 inch off top and bottom of each squash. Cut each squash horizontally. Remove seeds and membrane. Place rings into prepared casserole.
- Add rice, cranberries, salt, cinnamon and pepper to sausage. Add 1/4 cup chicken broth to sausage to moisten. Spoon sausage mixture into squash rings. Pour remaining broth into casserole around rings.
- Cover dish with foil. Bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 5 to 10 minutes or until squash is tender.