Recipe by Barb Witherspoon
Easy, low-fat, low-carb delicious comfort food. Modified version of a recipe from the Knoxville News-Sentinel.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and pulp.
- Pour 2 cups water into baking dish, and place squash halves into water, cut side down.
- Bake for 1 hour or until tender.
- Set aside to cool.
- When squash is cool, cook diced onions in butter over medium heat in large saucepan until onions are softened.
- Add chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Scoop out squash flesh from the skin, and add to onion/broth mixture.
- Puree in batches in food processor or blender till smooth.
- Return soup to saucepan; cook over medium heat until hot.
- Add milk, salt and pepper to taste.