Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Taken from January 2006 Bon Appetit's RSVP section. Rich and delicious. I think I would try to cut down on the oil somewhat by substituting applesauce for about half the oil.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 1⁄4 ounces crushed pineapple in syrup, drained
- Preheat oven to 300. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray. Cut a 15x4 inch strip of parchment paper. Line bottom and narrow sides of pan with the paper, leaving overhang on both sides. Spray paper with non-stick spray.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl. Whisk sugar, oil, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla in medium bowl to blend.
- Add sugar mixture to flour mixture. Stir just to blend. Add grated carrots, coconut, chopped walnuts, and crushed pineapple. Stir to distribute evenly.
- Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 90 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edes of pan. Invert onto rack and remove parchment paper. Turn bread over and cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
I love this bread and so do my family and friends. It's a very moist recipe so I omit the pineapple and I replace the oil with applesauce (1 cup). I also bake in muffin cups for about 40 min's to cut down baking time and increase portability. Thanks for sharing this!