Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
These muffins are very tasty and easy to make. I developed this recipe in 1990 and is enjoyed by many.
Top Review by Mommy Greenest
So delicious! Small modifications I made were: used oat bran, used less brown sugar, grapeseed oil, 1/2 rice milk-1/2 apple cider, blueberries, dried cranberries, and flax meal.
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 cup golden seedless raisins
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dried apricot
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine wheat bran, flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; stir well to blend.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg.
- Add brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, molasses, raisins and chopped dried apricots and mix well to blend.
- Add liquid ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients.
- Stir until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Line a 12 cup muffin baking pan with paper liners.
- Fill cups 3/4 full with mixture.
- Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 20 to 23 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Remove muffins to a wire rack to cool.
- As a variation, replace 1/2 cup natural wheat bran wih 1/2 cup of oat bran and then increase the buttermilk to 1 1/3 cups.