Prep 15 mins
Cook 23 mins
These muffins are very tasty and easy to make. I developed this recipe in 1990 and is enjoyed by many.
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 cup golden seedless raisins
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine wheat bran, flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; stir well to blend.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg.
- Add brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, molasses, raisins and chopped dried apricots and mix well to blend.
- Add liquid ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients.
- Stir until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Line a 12 cup muffin baking pan with paper liners.
- Fill cups 3/4 full with mixture.
- Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 20 to 23 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Remove muffins to a wire rack to cool.
- As a variation, replace 1/2 cup natural wheat bran wih 1/2 cup of oat bran and then increase the buttermilk to 1 1/3 cups.
So delicious! Small modifications I made were: used oat bran, used less brown sugar, grapeseed oil, 1/2 rice milk-1/2 apple cider, blueberries, dried cranberries, and flax meal.
This was so good. The ingredients blended so well together making for such a great flavor. I made these for my daughter and the friend, and it was very early that a plate emptied. I added cocoa as a substitute for in the thing which lasted neither of dry raisin and the dry apricot. I'll be making frequently these. Next time, I intend to put the dried fruit which soaked in rum. Thanks so much, Uncle Bill.
perfect muffins, used craisins, but will try the apricots next time, double batch made 22 muffins. thanks!