Recipe by Sue Lau
A great soup to go with wursts and other sausages, as well as potato skins, for a comforting cool weather meal.
Top Review by EdsGirlAngie
This had a great taste! I used a vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to keep it vegetarian, and use Warsteiner for the brew. My only problem was that my cheese didn't melt very well - I used a finely shredded sharp cheddar?!? I think this would be an excellent recipe to experiment with, too - different beers and cheeses (hey, two of my favorite things!) ... Thanks SueL!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 4 1⁄2 ounces cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) bottlegerman beer (dunkel lager preferred)
- salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely shred cheese, using grater or food processor; set aside.
- Saute vegetables in butter in a saucepan with garlic until tender but not browned.
- Add flour and mustard, stirring to coat.
- Gradually add the broth and cook until slightly thickened.
- Add the Tabasco and cheddar and cook, stirring constantly until blended, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the beer and season to taste with salt; reheat soup to serving temperature, but do not boil.