1/2 Photos of Harvest Beef Stew
4 hrs 25 mins
I got this recipe more than 10 years ago out of one of those Betty Crocker cookbooks that you can buy at the supermarket checkout. This is one of the tastiest beef stew recipes I've had and I make this frequently in the winter months. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup tapioca, quick-cooking and uncooked
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces (I substitute cut-up baby carrots)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I substitute 1 tablespoon of minced garlic)
- 2 medium onions, cut into eights
- 32 ounces whole tomatoes, undrained
- 10 ounces frozen corn
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into equal sized chunks
- 1Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Mix all ingredients except corn, potatoes, peas and potatoes in ovenproof Dutch oven or decent size pot, breaking up tomatoes.
- 3Cover and bake 2 1/2 hours, stirring 2 or 3 times during the first 1 1/2 hours. I keep beef broth ready to add in case I need more liquid.
- 4Stir in potatoes, cover and bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- 5Stir in peas and corn. Cover and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- 6NOTE: this freezes well.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harvest Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.7
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 170.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 30.5 g