Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but I have been holding on to it on a scrap of paper for years! Time to commit it to electronic memory LOL!
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour, divided
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided (or other sweetener)
- 5 small apples, diced (peeling optional)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread, cold
- Heat oven to 350.
- In food processor, pulse 2 c flour, oatmeal, and 1/4 c sugar. Add cold butter spread and 1 t vanilla and pulse until mixture looks like granola, then pulse into a dough.
- Press mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake 12 minutes.
- Toss together apples, 1/4 c sugar, 1 t vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spread over cooled crust and bake about 40 minutes more.
Intesting and yummy recipe!
I prepared my oat four pulsing oat flakes with the food processor.
I prepared the recipe as suggested, but I renounced to the flour to toss with the apples.
Healthy and soooo goood!
Thanks a lot! Done for PRMR.
I was expecting the apples to cook down to a moist apple pie filling-ish topping. That didn't happen, they kept their integrity even with the full 40 mins of baking. This is not a bad thing, just not what I had expected. The apples are very tender and tasty while the base is well flavored and has a perfect texture that holds together when you cut and serve it but flakes in your mouth almost instantly. I used Splenda for the sugar (even put 1.5 Tbsp in the crust) and drizzled it with sugar free caramel sauce right out of the oven just because I had to guild the Lilly. Delicious, I'd not hesitate to serve this to guests. :D