Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash mace
- 1 dash powdered clove
- 1 1⁄4 cups beets, cooked, diced
- 2 lbs beets, cleaned and scrubbed (medium sized)
- Melt shortening on top of double boiler directly over heat. Add flour and let bubble for 3 minutes.
- Add boiling water slowly and stir until smooth.
- Add sugar, vinegar, seasonings, spices until blended well.
- Add beets and let it stand over the boiling water until the whole dish is very hot.