The only way to eat beets! When I harvest my beets in the fall I always make up a few batches of this for the freezer-they're just as good reheated and it's a wonderful quick veggie for winter! To prepare fresh beets, I cover them with water, cook for 30 minutes to an hour till tender, then peel and cube. This recipe is a Swedish family tradition. The long cooking time includes the time the beets need to marinate.
- Mix the sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and water in a pot and boil 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the beets, toss to coat.
- If you are freezing: put one batch in a quart size bag or container, and make a note to add 2 tablespoons butter when reheating.
- If you are eating them now: Let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the butter and reheat to the boiling point.