Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
The Hartness House Inn, in picturesque Southern Vermont is located in historic Springfield in Vermont's renowned Green Mountains country. This bread sparkles with the zing of jalapenos. For ease, make the dough in the bread maker.
- Dissolve first three ingredients in water.
- Add flour, peppers and butter; mix until well incorporated.
- Knead dough for five minutes on floured surface.
- Place dough in a large, buttered bowl; cover and let rise until doubled.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or butter (or butter four 8 x 4" loaf pans).
- Punch dough down and divide into fourths; form into loaves.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake loaves 25 minutes or until done and golden brown.
- If you want a soft crust, baste surface with a light coat of butter when you remove the loaves from the oven.
MMmm...this is so good! I made exactly as directed, using some boughten jarred jalapenos. I think next time I'd boost the jalapeno amount though...my husband is a spice freak. I made 2 loaves, and then for the rest I made into rolls. They were great warm and fresh from the oven. As a side with our supper last night we toasted a few slices and buttered them and sprinkled with garlic salt and it was VERY good. Thanks so much for posting this tasty bread recipe. It's a keeper! Made for Theirs, Yours, & Mine Photo Tag.