Recipe by CIA Trained Chef
A easy bread recipe that anyone can make. This bread has a very nice crust, and is perfect for sandwiches. Definitely my favorite bread recipe. Perfect first bread recipe. Enjoy!!!
Top Review by dirndlfrau
This is a great way to make bread! I make this bread at least once a week in my cast iron dutch oven. (Don't use Le Creuset - the plastic knob will melt.) I have changed the recipe slightly. I use 3 cups bread flour, 2 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp active dry yeast, and 1 1/2 cups warm filtered water.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the flours, and salt. Stir until well blended. The dough should be shaggy and sticky. Let rise overnight, at least 12-18 hours, for best results.
- Flour a work surface. Fold dough over itself once or twice. Place the dough, seam side down, on a floured kitchen towel. Cover with another floured kitchen towel.Let the dough rise at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven 20 minutes before the dough is ready to 475 degrees. Put the dutch oven into the oven. When dough is ready, take out the dutch oven, and then using the kitchen towels, flip the dough into the pot, seam side up. Shake the pot if the dough loses it's shape.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the dough is turned golden brown. Cool on a wire rack, and enjoy!