Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in the local paper.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 cup italian-style seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl combine spinach, cheese, butter, green onions, eggs, salt and pepper and just enough bread crumbs to make the mixture hold together.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned.
This was a great recipe for our Hogwart's Halloween party, and I would even eat them at a non-themed event!
I didn't have Italian bread crumbs, so just added 1 T dried basil, 2 t dried oregano, 1 t salt, and a few dashes black ground pepper to my homemade bread crumbs before stirring them in. I ended up using 1.5 Cups of the bread crumbs. I also opted to use half of a finely minced yellow onion in place of the green onions (personal preference) which I sauteed very briefly in a tiny bit of the melted butter before mixing them in. I got over sixty balls with this recipe (!?), and they took about 18 minutes to cook, because I did the two large cookie sheets in the oven at the same time.
The spinach-y flavor of these were a much-needed foil to the unending stream of sugary treats at our party! Thanks for listing this recipe, Molly!