1/3 Photos of Harry & Davids Sweet and Hot Pepper and Onion Relish Clone
This recipe came from http://www.recipe-recipes-message-board.com/forum/view_topic.php?id=3467&forum_id=37 and was posted by forum member "thebuca". I've not tried it myself but I have heard it is wonderful! Update: I've now made this several times and it is fantastic. For some reason *after* canning it loses quite a bit of heat - as other reviewers have stated - I upped the quantity of Jalapeno's to 6, left the seeds in 2 and added a habanero. Too hot for me prior to canning, but afterwards it was perfect for my tastes. As to the sugar to liquid comment - I've not had any issues with mine not setting but it's worth bearing in mind. I also don't pressure can, I use a water bath and it works quite well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1* Recipe called for two small boxes of pectin - I have no idea if a small box is 1 or 2 ounces so I guess at 2 ounces -- so be careful!
- 2Mix all ingredients together, except pectin and bring to a boil.
- 3Turn down and simmer for 2 - 2 1/2 hours until thickened.
- 4Whisk in the 2 boxes of pectin and boil for 1 minute.
- 5Pour into sterile jars.
- 6Process in pressure canner at #11 for 15 minutes.
- 7Notes: I increased the peppers and the ground red. I actually used scotch hots and it still lost some of the heat in the canning process. This always happens to me! Go ahead and be a little generous on the heat because it seems to leave the product after canning. Also, in using the 8 cups of sugar, you need the hot pepper to balance out the sweet.
- 8It seems like a long time to cook but it makes a beautiful transformation from orange/red to a deep jewel ruby red. It is necessary to cook it the 2 hours because it becomes thick (unlike fresh salsa that stays thin).
- 9Recipe reads that it makes about 7 pints. Not sure about that since I increased the vegetables. I would can in jelly jars because one mixed with 2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese was plenty of dip.
- 10I did not pressure can. I water-boiled for 10 minutes. They all set up perfectly.
- 11It was a success. Tasted great, just wish it was a little spicier. I added cayenne to my cream cheese mixture.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harry & Davids Sweet and Hot Pepper and Onion Relish Clone
Serving Size: 1 (5011 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1058.1
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2049.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 265.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 241.4 g
- Protein 3.5 g