Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yum - a Chicago tradition!
Make and share this Harry Caray's Chicken Vesuvio recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled & cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 whole garlic cloves
- 1 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup dry white wine
- In 12 inch ovenproof skillet, heat oil and whole garlic over medium high heat 4 to 5 minutes till garlic is golden. Remove from skillet. Add potato strips and cook 15 minutes or until golden, turning often. Remove and pat dry.
- Add chicken, skin side down, to hot oil. Brown slowly over medium heat, about 10 minutes. turn chicken skin side up and season with oregano, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add wine to skillet and return potatoes and garlic to skillet. Place skillet in 400 degree oven and bake, uncovered, 25 minutes or until chicken is done, basting last 10 minutes with pan juices.
- Serve the baked chicken with juice and potatoes. makes 4 servings. Note: If you don't have an ovenproof skillet, prepare recipe on range top in regular skillet then transfer to 13x9 baking dish.