Recipe by JackieOhNo!
I used to get a Harrington's Cob-Smoked Ham from Vermont every Christmas and really looked forward to the delicious leftovers. This was one of my favorite ways to use them.
Top Review by WiGal
Delicious! Sshhh...and don't tell anyone they are leftovers either. I made three minor changes--used about a third less onion, cauliflower mixed in with broccoli as I had some that needed using, and Wisconsin shredded cheddar. I did assemble earlier in day and took it out of fridge about 30 minutes before putting in oven. Thank you Jackie for sharing.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 lb broccoli, cooked and drained
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed harrington ham
- 8 ounces vermont cheddar cheese, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Spoon cooked rice into greased 3-quart casserole. Layer broccoli over rice. Melt butter in saucepan. Remove 2 T. butter and sprinkle over bread crumbs in a bowl. Set aside.
- Saute onion in remaining 4 T. butter. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Add ham and heat until bubbly. Pour into casserole. Layer cheese over ham mixture. Sprinkle on crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.