Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one the best soups that you will ever put your lips on! This makes a great meal served along with a hardy home-made bread. There are only a few locations in the Great State of Texas that you can enjoy this in person.
- 4 cups water
- 8 teaspoons bovril powder
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups chopped prime rib roast
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- Cook prime rib roast to desired doneness.
- Pour any drippings into saucepan. Add water and Bovril. Heat.
- Add sour cream and chopped prime rib roast and mushrooms. Heat**SLOWLY**. Do not boil. Serve and enjoy!
- Bovril is British; It's a beef extract that can be used in recipes such as the one above or spread on toast or used to make a "beef tea".
Good recipe. I used 1/2 cup of Prime Rib fat + butter as a roux base before adding all the other ingredients. I diced some onions into the roux with a T of garlic and think these amendments make the soup better. Good luck finding Bovril, I used 2 cups of beef bouillon too for flavor. I also recommend cooking the left over bones in the soup while preparing then pull them out before serving.
It's been 20 years since we've had this. It's the best!
Thanks so much for the recipe! I replaces the Bovril with Kitchen Bouquet and a little beef boullion and it worked fine. I have missed this soup since they have shut down all the Harrigan's in my area....and well, since we moved out of Texas! It is such a decadant soup! Thank you once again!