Recipe by Bibliobethica
My mother has been making these since I was a child. I had no idea how easy they were until I asked her for the recipe. She got the recipe back in the 1960's from her friend Harriet. Few ingredients and delicious!
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
My husband loves shortbread and this recipe works very nicely, a moister pre-baked mixture than I'm used to but gave a good biscuity texture. It was easy to chop up a chocolate bar, sprinkle it onto the baked biscuit and smooth gently a moment or so later. A very nice baked treat, that didnt take me long to whip up, thank you Bibliobethica, made and enjoyed for Spring PAC 2014
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 ounces milk chocolate candy bars or 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and brown sugar.
- Mix in the egg yolk and vanilla.
- Add the flour and salt.
- spread in an 9 X 13 baking dish. I like to put parchment in the bottom of the pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.
- Immediately after taking it out of the oven, put the chocolate bar on top to melt.
- Spread the chocolate all over the bar (you can add tidbits on top of the chocolate - toasted pecans and Heath Bar bits are both good).
- Cut diagonally.