Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
I started making this for Christmas morning breakfast when my kids were little. We don't like hollandaise sauce, so I came up with this. It has remained a tradition ever since.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 ounce flour
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese (we use sharp)
- 6 eggs
- 3 English muffins, split
- 6 slices Canadian bacon
- butter, for muffins and eggs
- Melt butter, stir in flour and cook for about 2 minutes (DO NOT brown). Remove from heat and stir in milk.
- Place back on the heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat to low; add wine and then cheese. Stir in until cheese is melted.
- Toast 6 English muffin halves. Heat 6 slices Canadian bacon and place on top of buttered muffin.
- Poach 6 eggs and place on top of bacon and pour sauce over that.
What a treat. Easier to make than hollandaise and no worry about undercooked egg yolks. This is delicious, crazymom.