Recipe by Member #610488
Offered from one of the noodle carts at the Celestial Tournament by Galu Wellspring, this calming and delectable noodle dish is a perfect light snack or side dish along with a serving of grilled scallops or skewered peanut chicken. A World of Warcraft dish, this easy recipe will make any jinyu or vegetarian happy.
- 1⁄2 cup sesame oil
- 1 star anise, pod
- 1 tablespoon szechuan peppercorns, ground
- 1 inch ginger, sliced thinly
- 7 tablespoons black soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus additional for cooking pasta
- 12 scallions, green and white parts thinly sliced divided
- 1 lb long thin noodles or 1 lb regular spaghetti or 1 lb fresh Chinese egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat sesame oil in a 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add star anise, sliced ginger, Sichuan peppercorn and scallion whites immediately.
- When the fragrance is potent, the oil starts to smoke and the scallion whites turns golden brown, take all the spices out as best you can. Discard the spices. Allow the oil to cool.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. And while you are waiting for the boil, in a large bowl, combine the black soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sugar, salt and spiced sesame oil. Whisk to blend. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- When the water boils, season with salt until the water tastes like seawater. Plunge the pasta in the boiling water and cook until al dente (firm and not mushy). This time will depend on what type of noodle you are using. Place a colander in the sink.
- Remove the pot from the heat and pour off most of the water into the colander, catching any pasta as the water pours out. Remove the colander from the sink and fill the pot that cooked the pasta with cold water. Pour the noodles back in to the cold water.
- Drain the pasta thoroughly again in the colander, shaking it a few times to remove excess water covering the pasta.
- Spread a kitchen towel on a flat surface and turn the noodles onto the towel. Gently use a second towel to dry the noodles. Dry as best as possible. Any water left will dilute the flavored oil soon to coat the noodles.
- Gingerly transfer them to the bowl with the sauce. Use your hands to mix the pasta and the sauce, taking care that all of the pasta gets coated. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve chilled but not that cold. Stir again just before serving. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions.