Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
A simple fish stock that can be eaten as a soup or ued for stock to add to othe dishes. Very healthy, ues fresh ingredients and enjoy :)
- 9 lbs fish bones, from any firm whitefish such as Sea bass, Rockfish, Halibut, etc
- 4 quarts purified water
- 8 ounces maui onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb yellow carrot, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces bamboo shoots, thin sliced
- 4 ounces shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped leek, white part only
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, loosely packed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 4 sprigs dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves, whole
- 4 elephant garlic cloves, lightly crushed and left unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns, whole
- sea salt, to taste
- Rinse the fish bones well under cold running water.
- Place the bones in a large stockpot, cover with water and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes, skimming frequently.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the fish bones and vegetables with a slotted spoon.
- Strain the stock through a cheesecloth-lined strainer.
- Allow to cool and skim the surface.
- Divide into small containers and freeze for future use.