Recipe by Martini Guy
This comes from the Harley-Davidson Cafe in New York, which apparently is no longer in business. However, the Las Vegas Harley-Davidson Cafe may still serve it. The portions in the recipe would have to be adjusted unless you are freezing some or serving for a good size dinner party.
Top Review by HELEN W.
Sorry .. I may have done something wrong but I believe I made it just as it is here but the thyme was just too overpowering for us. Good texture but i wonder if that should have been teasons and not tablespoons. I will try that next time.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 tablespoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 3⁄4 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs
- 5 lbs ground beef
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook bacon in frying pan, remove, drain and chop.
- Leave drippings in pan and saute (but do not brown) onion and celery.
- Add pepper, onion powder, thyme, salt, mustard, paprika and garlic powder.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add tomato juice and evaporated milk.
- Mix bread crumbs with eggs and add to meat.
- Add spice mixture and bacon to meat mixture and mix gently.
- Place mixture in two or three 8 x 4 inch individual loaf pans.
- Cook until done, about 40 to 50 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees on a meat thermometer.