Recipe by Cook4_6
Source: Harley Davidson Cafe - New York City, NY Nothing beats a great pulled pork sandwich!
- 1 (6 -8 lb) boneless pork butt, tied
- 12 large round rolls
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 42 ounces canned tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 3⁄4 cups catsup
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine kosher salt, black pepper and paprika. Coat pork butt evenly with mixture, shaking off any excess. Soak 2 cups hickory wood chips and
- 1 cup apple wood chips in water 30 minutes.
- Place pork butt in smoker on rack at 220 degrees F for 8 hours, with smoke going for 2 hours. Let cool slightly. Break meat apart with hands.
- Saute onions in oil in heavy saucepan until translucent. Add spices and cook until fragrant. Add remaining ingredients and cook until mixture is thick and coats back of spoon. Puree sauce and let cool. (Sauce can be made 2 to 3 days in advance and refrigerated.).
- Combine pork and sauce (to taste) in heavy saucepan. Cook until heated through. Pile pork on roll.