Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Harissa is a spice mix used in the Middle East and Africa as a condiment, a grilling sauce, and it's often an ingredient in other dishes. There are many variations to this recipe, but this is a fairly typical one.
- 12 dried hot red chili peppers
- 1 large garlic clove (or 2-3 small ones)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- Remove the seeds from the chili peppers and soak the pepper in water for 1/2 to rehydrate. Heat cumin, caraway and coriander seeds over low heat for one minute. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- From Margarita's International Recipes.
Great sauce... Pungent flavor and extremely hot.
Very nice blend of flavors. I left the seeds in the peppers for added heat. Used in recipe #171605. Made for Fall 2007 PAC.