Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Robust flavours in a vegan salad that makes a deliciously nutritious one-dish meal. Great for picnics!
- 2 carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups green beans
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 shallot
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala or 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- Pour olive oil into small saucepan and heat on medium-high until very hot but not smoking. Peel then slice shallot crossways, separate rings, and drop into the oil individually so they're not clumped together. Fry until brown then remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. You may have to do it in two batches. Once shallots are done, remove the oil from heat and place in fridge to cool off.
- Pour 2 tbsp of the still-cooling olive oil into a frying pan, add the chickpeas, and sprinkle with garam masala or curry powder. Fry on medium-high heat until browned. Place in fridge to cool off.
- While chickpeas are frying, trim ends of green beans, chop into bite size lengths, then boil in water until cooked but not mushy. Drain and cool in fridge.
- Peel and shred carrots, peel and dice cucumber, and toss in large mixing bowl.
- Combine the rest of the now-cooled olive oil with vinegar, lemon juice, and harissa. Whisk until blended.
- Remove green beans and chick peas from the fridge and gently toss with the carrot and cucumber. Pour dressing over top and toss until mixed. (If there is excess dressing, try using it to marinate tofu, or as a vinaigrette for a green salad.).
- Put individual portions in salad bowls, and sprinkle with crispy shallots just before serving. Enjoy!