Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
This recipe is adapted from Bon Appetit, June 2010 issue. Times indicated do not include marinating time.
- Cut the steak lengthwise in half and slice each half across at an angle into 2 inch wide triangles.
- Combine 2 tbsp olive oil, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, thyme and 2 tsp harissa sauce into a zip bag (or large bowl) and add beef. Close the bag and mix by squeezing the bag with your fingers to coat all the beef pieces (or toss in bowl to coat each piece and cover). Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes, or refrigerate at least 2 hours (or up to overnight), mixing occasionally.
- Drain the beef. Divide and cook in two batches in a large skillet (or cook them in two skillets simultaneously - preferred). Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the skillet and heat on high. Add beef, taking care not to overcrowd. Cook until well browned on all sides for a total of 6 - 7 minutes for medium rare.
- Whisk 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp harissa and 2 tbsp water in a small bowl to blend. Season this sauce with salt.
- Drizzle sauce over the steak tips and serve.
Spicy & good! I marinated two 6oz sirloins so reduced the recipe by half. I elected to leave the steaks whole and marinated for most of the morning,. The result was spicy with a slight sweet note, but they weren't insanely hot without the addition of the drizzle. I served this with Morrocan Potatoes, and a green salad. Made for ZWT6.
Delicious! I used flap meat for this, rather than top sirloin. I sprinkled the meat with some smoked sea salt flakes before grilling, and I added a spoonful of brown sugar to the harissa drizzle too (I like the sweetness with the spice). This was DH's first time trying anything with harissa -- he's now a fan. Definitely a keeper, thanks for posting! Made for The Hot Pink Panthers for ZWT9
This is a great marinade. Just spicy enough. Thanks PanNan :) Made for ZWT9