Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Harissa is hot pepper sauce from North Africa. It works well as a baste, dip or marinade. If you cannot get asafoetida powder use garlic instead.
- 8 ounces fresh hot chili peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yellow asafetida powder
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Place the chilies in a processor and chop until coarsely ground.
- Add the other ingredients and process until smooth.
- Thin with rapeseed oil if required.
I used this sauce with Couscous and 6 Vegetables. It was the perfect compliment. Hot but not so hot that it killed the taste buds. But, a little does go a long way.
Potent-lethal! Used the harissa in Moroccan-Spiced Pork Chops and Fruity Couscous. I used Thai peppers. Thanks for sharing. cg ;)