1/4 Photos of Harissa, Harisa, Haresa Arabic Semolina Cake
I was looking for a varition of our families Harissa recipe but was suprised that Zarr did'nt have anything close to what we love to make every Ramadan and special occasion. Us Palestinians love sweets. So here it is and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups semolina
- 3/4 cup unsweetened butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole blanched almonds (to garnish) or 1/2 cup ground pistachio nut (to garnish)
- 1Mix the semolina, the sugar and the butter in a large bowl. Use your hands to corporate the butter with the other ingredients until mixed well.
- 2Mix the yogurt and the baking soda in a separate bowl.
- 3Wait a few minutes until the yogurt doubles in size.
- 4When the yogurt has doubled (or almost)pour the yogurt mix on top of the semolina mix.
- 5Use your hands again to mix.
- 6After you combined the two mixes, press the mix down on a small jellyroll pan or a 9x13 pyrex baking dish.
- 7(The cake mix should not be more then 1 inch thick. If it is bake the cake in a bigger pan or take out the extra and bake it in a separte pan.).
- 8Cut a diamond or square design in the cake witha butter knife.
- 9If using almond place one in each piece.
- 10Bake at 400 degrees for 30min to 45 mins until its a bronze brown color.
- 11Pour cold syrup on top while its hot so it can absorb all through.
- 12If using ground pistashios sprinkle a little on top of each square.
- 13FOR THE SYRUP:.
- 14Mix all the ingredients for the syrup and place in saucepan on high until it boils. If using citric acid use only the the tip of a teaspoon.
- 15Then reduce the heat to medium for 45 min to 1 hour until it coats a metal spoon.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harissa, Harisa, Haresa Arabic Semolina Cake
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 606.9
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 33.1 mg
- Sodium 272.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 111.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 80.3 g
- Protein 7.4 g