I bought an Israeli spice blend for Harissa and you only need to add oil and/or water to use it as a paste. It smells great and I was searching for some recipes so that I can use it. I came upon this one from an organic website. I will try this with dark meat chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 25 g almonds, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved
- 2 tablespoons harissa, dry blend
- 275 ml water
- 400 g canned chick-peas, drained
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 500 g couscous, steamed for 20 minutes
- 30 g butter
- 1Heat oil in heavy bottomed pan until hot. Add chopped almonds and cook until golden brown. Remove and set aside to drain on kitchen towel.
- 2Add garlic, onion and chicken to the same pan and sauté for 10 minutes, turning regularly until browned.
- 3Mix together harissa, water, currants, honey, cumin and cinnamon. Add the seasoning mix to the chicken and stir well. Add the chickpeas, cover the pan. Now cook over a medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring regularly. Add more water if necessary.
- 4Steam the couscous for 20 minutes. Remove couscous and crumble between your fingers. Add the butter and fluff up. Serve the chicken over the couscous, topping with the browned almonds.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harissa Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1776.3
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 124.8 mg
- Sodium 856.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 266.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.1 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 76.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: