Recipe by Oolala
I bought an Israeli spice blend for Harissa and you only need to add oil and/or water to use it as a paste. It smells great and I was searching for some recipes so that I can use it. I came upon this one from an organic website. I will try this with dark meat chicken.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 25 g almonds, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved
- 2 tablespoons harissa, dry blend
- 275 ml water
- 400 g canned chick-peas, drained
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 500 g couscous, steamed for 20 minutes
- 30 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy bottomed pan until hot. Add chopped almonds and cook until golden brown. Remove and set aside to drain on kitchen towel.
- Add garlic, onion and chicken to the same pan and sauté for 10 minutes, turning regularly until browned.
- Mix together harissa, water, currants, honey, cumin and cinnamon. Add the seasoning mix to the chicken and stir well. Add the chickpeas, cover the pan. Now cook over a medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring regularly. Add more water if necessary.
- Steam the couscous for 20 minutes. Remove couscous and crumble between your fingers. Add the butter and fluff up. Serve the chicken over the couscous, topping with the browned almonds.